2009-02-03

Work is a VERY DIRTY 4-letter word!

Work has been unbelievable this past few weeks. There are 2 other guys that have the same position as me. Don is the most experienced one of the three. The other guy is Seth. The nicest thing I can say about Seth is.......let me get back to you on that. It takes 3 of us to get everything done and cover all of the hours. Our department is open from 8am to 9 pm everyday, so there is very little overlapping in our shifts.

It has been no secret that Don would be on an 10 day vacation towards the end of January. He was leaving on a Friday and wouldn't be back until two Mondays later. Our boss was going to help pick up the extra coverage, but even he admits that he is unable to do our job very well. So it was going to be Seth and me. That is stressful enough, but it got even better when Seth decided he was going to quit. So it became a guessing game as to how long he would work. He did work 2 days of the week, so it wasn't a total screw up, but it still SUCKED!!! I ended up working 14 days in a row. Last week I ended up with between 65 and 70 hours. That doesn't include the work I did off the clock, only so we wouldn't be in as much trouble. Yeah, we (my boss and I) were informed that there would be NO overtime! HUH! AS IF!

The week started off pretty good. Business was so-so. So there were no major catastrophes. Friday and Saturday were crazy. Friday business really picked up. We knew it had to happen eventually, they hadn't been in during the week, so we knew they would hit us hard over the weekend. Saturday was INSANE!!! It started off crazy and only got worse. Business was HUGE! The sales ad we had last week was CRAZY!!! It is one of the worst sales ads out there, it takes a lot of labor to keep up with it, so it was definitely not the right week for that. And with the Superbowl on Sunday, it was only that much more crazy!
Sunday morning they called all of us into a meeting. It turns out Saturday had been one of our best sales days yet. They were all impressed by how much we did and how well we kept up! And then we all had to get back to work, because with the big game later, sales were starting to build up. I only ended up staying an extra hour on Sunday. I was so sore from the previous week that I couldn't make it. I guess that the business never really died down from there.

I had to work Monday (day 13 in a row without a day off!) The good thing is that I am back to working evenings!!! The bad thing, I had to listen to the night managers bitch and moan about how poorly this place was taken care of last week during the evening shifts. So sorry, I was having to work the day shifts and there was nobody qualified to take care of it.The best news, I have 2 days off in a row!!! I can finally get caught up on bills, laundry, cleaning, dishes, mail a couple of packages and RELAX!!! So Sallie, Kelly and MySuperSecretSanta, your packages on the way. And no, I am not saying who MySuperSecretSanta is....they might or might not read this message board. Cheers!

1 comments:

Becky said...

I wondered what was up with you. So glad you can have some time off!