2009-01-11

The 4 Letter Word: Work

Let me start this off by saying I am glad to have a job. I don't talk much about my job in my blog, I do like to keep somethings more private. My last job, which I was fired from (for no reason), I was the assistant manager of a grocery store here in town. The company (under the bad direction of a vice president) decided that they need to cut back on expenses. The first expense that they cut was labor. Within a 30 day period, they fired (or talked them into quitting) anybody who made more than minimum wage. The problem with this is, in order to run a store properly, you do need some key people that can run the different departments and/or the store. When you only have 1 person with the experience to run the store, things go down hill very fast. Needless to say, the store manager was new and had almost no experience. I was in the process of training him when his boss made him fire me. This new store manager, didn't do the schedules, had never ordered anything, was just learning all of the paperwork and was clueless about the day-to-day operations of the store. There isn't a day that goes by that one of the customers from that store doesn't come into my new store and complain about how dirty and understocked the old store is. They keep saying that I need to go back. I just smile and let them know that I am very happy where I am now.

So back to the original topic, my new job. Even though my pay is the same, I am in a much lesser role at my new job. Instead of being in charge most of the time, let's just say I don't have anybody who works under me now. It is a nice change of pace without losing any pay. The biggest problem I have is that my boss is always wanting me to be in charge over the other workers. The problem I have with that (and I have told him a few times) is that 1) I am not above them and 2) They know that. I am still the newest employee in the department. So these people don't look at me as somebody in authority. Plus, it really isn't my place to be over them. So after the fiasco last night, I am going to have to sit down and have another talk with my boss. I am not trying to cause any problems, but something needs to be done about this. Of course, another problem is that my boss is a nice buy and a big talker, but he often doesn't follow through on his plans. And I can always tell when his bosses are coming down on him for not following through, he will then open up and start telling me things he shouldn't be telling me and he will also usually be a little more authoritative with me (which he needs to be doing all the time!)


0 comments: