2008-11-06

What is the final say on Prop8?

All I can say about Prop8 is thanks to all of the people who voted NO on Prop8. And a very big thanks to those who donated their time, money and voices to try and defeat the hatred. This fight is far from over. There are at least 3 different lawsuits to declare Prop8 as illegal. I am not sure if they can pass or not, but there is still hope.

Now the religious right, fresh from their kills wins, have decided to hit up the rest of the states. 30 of the states already have hatred same sex marriage bans as part of their laws. They want to hit the other 20 states, including Massachusetts and Connecticut who have legalized same sex marriages. This fight is far from over! There have been demonstrations in Los Angeles and San Francisco about Prop8. There is another one planned today in Los Angeles.

I am "borrowing" from Joe.My.God. This is a very well written piece about Prop8.

"To the kind souls who decided that I’m not equal, and voted to strip me, and others in my community of their constitutional rights, congratulations. Your bigotry and fear have won this day. In 40 years, when viewed through the prism of history, you’ll find yourselves as respected and loved as the racists and segregationists of the 1960s. In 40 years, when the first gay or lesbian wins the highest office in the land, you’ll be sharing the same lonely corner as those folks who yesterday couldn’t “vote for a n*gger,” and woke up to discover that an African American was president, and that history had passed them by.

"Until that day, I fear for the lives of your gay sons and lesbian daughters. The ones who can’t talk to you about it, and suffer silently. They’ll be dying for your choice, because teen suicide rates in gays and lesbians is driven by fear, and by feelings of worthlessness that proposition 8 reinforces. No doubt the ones who finally do come out, will suffer the indignity of either the scam of “reparative therapy” or homelessness, as so many do. Until that day, I fear for the children of gays and lesbians, who will face ridicule and discrimination at school because their families “aren’t real” and their mommies or daddies “aren’t really married.”

"Finally, I fear for you. If the God you worship is the one about whom I’ve read, you’ve got some serious explaining to do. Like the woman in John 8, I’d offer you the first stone, but I’m already bloodied by Proposition 8." - Lee Tucker



0 comments: