Last night I met up with some friends at a new bar in Champaign. The Clark Bar, is owned/operated by the woman who used to run Ruby's, a gay bar at that same location that I worked at for quite a few years. This time she has updated the inside of the bar and made it more lounge like. She is also serving food again, one thing she is very good at. So we met for dinner and a few cocktails. The menu is a tapas menu divided into two sections hot and cold. (Tapas basically means appetizers, but most tapas menus consist of upscale varieties.) I picked 2 hot and 1 cold tapas from the menu. I had the Sesame beef kabob with peanut dipping sauce, roasted eggplant with mozzarella and prosciutto and from the cold side I had the ensalada with roasted potatoes, Gorgonzola, bacon and vinaigrette. The beef kabob and the ensalada were both excellent. The eggplant was a bit on the bland side for me, with only the prosciutto providing a salty taste to the bland eggplant and mozzarella. Overall, I really enjoyed the food.

We finished the night playing cards. Our usual game of cards is Euchre. Sadly, my partner and I ended up only winning one game while the other team won two.

That was the exciting part of the night. By the time I made it home from the bar (at an early 11pm), I was developing quite a headache. I put the bird to bed and quickly ran the dog outside before going to sleep. I woke up at 2am with the worst headache I have ever experienced. I thought seriously thought my brain was melting. I have had some bad migraine headaches before, but this was the worst by far. And as usual, when I get a bad migraine, I ended on the bathroom floor all night. I was still vomiting 6 hours later. Definitely not a record I want to break.

The worst part is that I had to be at work by 7am. And with the store manager, office manager and meat manager all on vacation, there is absolutely nobody I could call in to work for me. LIFE SUCKS! So I bit the bullet, made it to work and got the job done. I called the night manager in early, she was supposed to start at 2, but she only came in 20 minutes early. By then I felt a little better, so I ended up working my entire shift (until 4pm). When I got home, I slept for about 4 hours. I still have a bit of a headache, but that is probably from the fact I haven't had anything to eat or drink all day. I did have a couple of sips of gatorade earlier...I will try and finish that bottle tonight. I am thinking my dinner might consist of something boring and bland, like applesauce. I hate getting sick!


Ms. Val said...

OMG, migraines are the WORST! I used to get them all the time as a teenager, but now they only come once a year or so. They usually start with my vision being seriously distorted. I would see spots and flashes and everything would get very blurry. Then the headache would set in, followed by a few hours of vomiting.

The last such migraine I had started while I was driving the car! My eyesight was starting to go, but I somehow managed to safely pull the car into a McDonald's parking lot.

Then I had to call Q to come pick me up. That was quite a chore since I couldn't see the number buttons, and my cell phone at the time didn't have "press and hold" speed dial.

I'm glad to hear you had fun with your friends last night. Sucks that the evening was punctuated by such a killer headache.

RainbowDishes said...

I started getting migraines about 6 or 7 years ago. I usually have one really bad one a year. This was the worst one by far that I have ever experienced. I am hoping that I never have to relive that again!

My eyesight (as bad as it already is) never gets that bad during a migraine. I have to keep my eyes closed most of the time though because even the smallest amount of light makes the pain even worse. During a migraine, I will usually just sleep on the bathroom floor, there is very little light, the floor is cool and helps and right next to the toilet for when I vomit.

I feel a heck of a lot better today. Very small trace of a headache still, but my appetite is back.