2008-05-10

Mikey Mouse


George Michael Beckett
May 10, 1967 - April 30, 2004

Today would have been Mikey's 41st birthday.

I met Mikey in the year 2000. It was a Friday night, and I was busy working at Ruby's (one of the local gay bars). That particular night I was barbacking (keeping the ice filled, restocking liquor/beer, washing glasses and keeping the bar clean). At the time I was behind the downstairs bar helping out the bartender. Lynda (the owner of the bar) called me over, she had been talking to Mikey. I had met him before, but Lynda said he was a good friend of hers. I had been watching Mikey most of the night, I thought he was a very good looking guy. Well, it turns out he liked me too. All night, I would turn around and there he would be.

When it rains, it pours. I had been single since 1997. But a few months before I met Mikey, I had started seeing John. The problem was John lived in Milwaukee (over 4 hours away). The night before I met Mikey, John had called. We talked about what we were wanting out of a relationship. Turns out John had been dating a few other guys for awhile and was looking for nothing more than the occasional fling between his other guys. No offense, but not really what I was looking for. So the next night, I met Mikey and all of the sudden, John was history.

Mike and I were together until his death in 2004. Our time together was very short, and while it wasn't perfect, we made the best of the time we had together. I still wake up some nights expecting him to be in bed next to me. And quite often I will listen to see if I can hear him breathing. But I am always brought back to reality with the realization that I am alone and he is no longer here.

Happy Birthday Mouse, I miss you!

0 comments: