2008-04-01

Tales of the City, the musical


I am a bookworm. I admit it, I love to read. And yes, I do have a stack of magazines and books in the bathroom. You just never know when you will have a few minutes to read. One of my favorite reads is the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin. I will be honest, I had never heard of Armistead or Tales of the City until PBS first broadcast the mini series of the first book in the series
Tales of the City. I was hooked. Ok, the book is all about the 70's, disco, drug use, homosexuals (gasp!) and straights (and some bisexuals too). Every time I see Olympia Dukakis, she will always be Mrs. Madrigal. And TOTC mini-series was the first time I had seen Laura Linney (Mary Ann). And how could anybody not fall in love with Mouse?

I have probably read all 6 books in the series about 10 times each. And yes, I have even read the new book,
Michael Tolliver Lives, which was nice to revisit the characters, but overall the book was just ok. But I ran across an article yesterday that shocked me...it was in the latest Entertainment Weekly. The article, Tales of the City heads to Broadway, is all about a musical version of the first book. In the words of Connie Bradshaw, Fantabulous!

0 comments: