2008-10-23

Is it really hip to be square?

What seemed so sacrilegious when they announced it, turns out to be not that bad. Homer Laughlin had announced a few months back that they were coming out with Square Fiesta. How do you take something as iconic as the art deco inspired Fiesta dishes and make them square? Well, today I saw the press release and a picture of the dishes. They aren't square like I had imagined, but they definitely aren't as round as Fiesta. I do like how the base of the mug and bowl are square but the top is round. The rings on the plates are the same way, round in the center and more square on the edge. I think they did a great job and I cannot wait to see it!!!


Press release:
NEW SQUARE FIESTA® DINNERWARE

New shape is center stage at New York Tabletop Market, October 22-24

41 Madison, 16th Floor

Newell, W.Va.—(October 20, 2008)—The Homer Laughlin China Company™ is extending its iconic line of dinnerware with a new youthful shape: Square. Featuring the same sculpted art deco design by Frederick Hurton Rhead, new square shaped FIESTA Dinnerware complements the brand’s traditional [round] place settings and assorted contemporary glazes.

“The new shape addresses the needs of a growing consumer segment that cannot be ignored,” says Rich Brinkman, FIESTA Dinnerware. “Younger as well as new, edgy consumers desire unique shapes, sizes and colors that speak to their personal preferences, as well as stylized home decors.”

The company is unveiling Square in eight contemporary colors at New York Tabletop Market, 41 Madison Avenue, Wednesday, October 22 thru Friday, October 24. Look for FIESTA’s new shape in the following glazes: Shamrock, Ivory, Sunflower, Tangerine, Scarlet, Peacock, Cobalt and newly introduced Chocolate. “Additional core colors will be added to the offering in 2009,” he says.

Debuting at the FIESTA showroom on the 16th floor in Square is a Dinner, Luncheon and Salad Plates, and 19 oz. Bowl and Mug, as well as a full FIESTA line of dinnerware and accessories.

Despite square silhouettes, pieces maintain a strong relationship to the company’s established ‘round’ deco offering; coupe shape and height remain the same, along with the brand’s signature concentric rings.

Homer Laughlin’s artisans rounded the edges of the Square designs. “The softened look not only helps to maintain brand continuity,” says Brinkman, “but allows the complimenting intermixing of the two different shapes.”

Softer too are the bowl and mug. “Both are square at the base and round at the top for the obvious reason”, says Brinkman, “as practicality, functionality and ease of use have always been trademarks of the FIESTA brand.”

“Softened does not mean downsized,” says Brinkman. Scale is the only lingering difference between FIESTA’s now two shapes. “Each square plate was designed a bit larger than its round counterpart,” he says. The Dinner Plate, for example, is ¼ inch larger than the round version. “Again,” he says, “to allow decorative layering of the two shapes.” Mug and Bowl are equally more generous as well.

Square FIESTA will be available at major department stores and online in March 2009.

MSRP: Suggested retail price is as follows: Dinner Plate $18, Luncheon Plate $16, Salad Plate $12, Bowl $12, Mug $13.


3 comments:

DS Mark said...

I really like the plates, but the the bowl and mug look very awkward. I think they should just do square flatware and mix in round hollowware.

Ms. Val said...

I agree with Mark. I like the plates, but the cup and bowls look like they were forced into squareness.

I'm not sure I'll be buying the square dishes, however. For one thing, I don't have enough space (or even the need) to start a whole new collection of place settings. I think I'll stick to the tried and true round dishes.

RainbowDishes said...

No space is a big factor into not buying them for me. I have Fiesta dishes stuffed EVERYWHERE! I am happy just to take something and be able to hide it in a drawer or closet just so I can make room for something new. I can't imagine trying to make that much more space for these.

My first reaction was NOOOOOOOOO!!! But the more I have looked at them today, I kinda like the look. I just don't think I need another set of dishes. Goodness knows that I have enough dishes to feed a football team! Hmmmm...a football team, that sounds like a good idea! LOL