2008-10-11

Happy National Coming Out Day, and Yes, I am GAY!



I have never been a gay activist. But there are 2 things I do support. One of them is today, National Coming Out Day. For the past 20 years, every October 11th has been N.C.O.D. The whole purpose is that all gay people are supposed to announce to at least 1 new person that they are gay. If we all were to do it, more people would become more aware that there are more gay people than they thought. And I support this in the fact that I believe everybody should be able to live their life without having to hide themselves because of fear. While I had a relatively easy coming out process, not everybody has it half as easy as I did. So today I offer my support so others may learn to be comfortable with themselves.

Back when I was younger and first coming out, stuff like this was very important. I remember my first N.C.O.D. rally on the campus here. It really felt like a big deal. Now that I am older, things like this do little for me. I am out. I am pretty sure that everybody I know is aware of my sexuality. While I am not flamboyant or effeminate, I have never once hidden the fact that I "bat for the other team." And I usually don't have to out myself because there is always some drama queen that has to announce your sexuality to the rest of the world. But I do hope that any closeted gay person that might happen across this post will know that there are others out there that stand behind them. There are plenty of others, and yes believe me, you would be surprised how many of us there are.


0 comments: