2008-09-29

This Economy SUCKS!

I am sure that post title was a big surprise for most of you. I mean, come on, Congress obviously doesn't know how bad the economy is. Unfortunately we have had 2 restaurants close (well, the second one will close on Friday). The first restaurant I blame more on bad management than I do anything else. Boston's Pizza is a national chain that opened probably 2 years ago (if even that long). Douglass and I tried it out a few times, we both found some pizzas that we thought were pretty good. But the SERVICE SUCKED from day 1. Well, I haven't been there in a long time, but I have heard from friends that liked to go there that it was next to impossible to get service. And that is why they closed up shop! Go figure.

The second restaurant, Papa George's, is a local one. They only opened a year ago, but I know a lot of people weren't very happy when they opened up. They took over Pickle's, a local favorite, that had been around every since I remembered. I always thought Pickle's food was ok, I guess I never had any bad food, but I never had any excellent food....except for their NACHOS! These nachos were awesome! First off, we always ordered a half order and there would still be enough to feed a family of 4. Second, they were messy! And that probably made them taste even better. They would be on a small plate (probably 6" or 7" diameter) but they were piled super high. You couldn't grab a nacho without causing an avalanche! But Pickle's was always fun.

Papa George's was a greek restaurant. I tried them a few times. Once right after they had taken over. They had changed the name but the menu was still Pickle's. I went back a second time a month ago. The food was ok, I didn't think it was extraordinary. I have heard a lot of people rave about the place, but it was just ok. Sadly, no Pickle's nachos. :(

Papa George's is a casualty of the economy. They said they have had declining numbers of customers, even their regular customers has declined! Also, the owners (a husband and wife team) have had some problems. He lost his regular job because of medical problems. A second job fell through. And now she is going to need to go find a regular paycheck job just so they can survive. Sadly, Papa George's will be history on Friday.

I sure wish this economy wasn't in this situation. Very sad to see the casualties of the past 8 years.

3 comments:

papa said...

We had a Boston's in Terre Haute that closed about 8 months ago. I was only there once,the food was good,the service excellent,the waiter's adorable but the prices were too high! $60 for a lunch for two was waaay too much,and with only two beers on it!

Anonymous said...

Things are getting really bad here too in the UK. 2 banks have gone under already, Christmas is not looking very good for a lot of people this year :-(

Ms. Val said...

It's tough everywhere. I take Lucas to drum lessons at a music store in Glendale. The store is in a strip mall, and I have noticed MANY stores close over the last year.

There used to be a billiard store and a Cold Stone Creamery on either side of the music store. Both are now closed.

Also gone are Taco Del Mar, a smoothie place, Henry's Farmer's Market, and a few other smaller places. All that's left is Kohl's, Justice (preteen girls clothing store), an insurance agent's office, a cell phone store, and the music store. There's also a couple of hair and nail salons that are going strong.